SecureAccess WA Operations Specialist
(IT Security – Journey)
Who is WaTech?
This is an exciting time to join Washington Technology Solutions. WaTech, as it’s known for short, provides information technology oversight and central services for state government. The agency is a national leader in adopting new technologies that transform the way Washingtonians receive state services.
As a member of WaTech’s experienced team of IT professionals, you will have a unique opportunity to advance the technologies – from cloud services to information security – used by state government to meet the needs of Washingtonians.
Our staff not only have outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also enjoy flexible work schedules, telework options, and a beautiful modern building on the Capitol Campus that offers employee locker rooms and bicycle lockers for bike commuters. The office also is on the free public transit route. Olympia, WA, located on the Puget Sound, is near some of this country’s most scenic national parks and is consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S.
About the opportunity:
Our Secure Gateways Services (SGS) Team, which is within our Computing Services Division (CSD), provides proxy, authentication, and certificate services for state agencies so that they can securely offer applications and other services to Washington State citizens.
The SecureAccess WA Operations Specialist serves as one of the technical security specialists within the SGS Team, performing complex analysis and troubleshooting of Linux or Windows operating systems, forward/reverse proxy, LDAP, and directory service technologies.
A few things you will be responsible for will include:
- Provide ongoing operations and maintenance of the Secure Gateway Services core systems.
- Full system management of the security servers including software code updates, software patch installs, and firmware upgrades.
- Provide advanced (Tier 3) troubleshooting and resolution of EFP service issues and basic to intermediate (Tier 1/2) troubleshooting and resolution of all other Secure Gateway service, system, and application issues.
- Perform complex analysis and troubleshooting of Linux or Windows operating systems, forward/reverse proxy, SSL certificates, LDAP, and directory server technologies.
- Execute detailed project plans and timelines for major security technology initiatives that have statewide security impact.
- Conduct research, evaluate, recommend, and implement hardware and software supporting new security technologies and services.
- Develop optimum performance monitoring standards to ensure the highest quality system performance and availability.
Here is what we are looking for:
- A bachelor's degree in information technology or related field AND Four years of hands on experience in administrating, troubleshooting analyzing shared security infrastructure including proxy servers, firewalls, denial of service protection, intrusion detection & prevention, and authentication systems.
- A combination of education and/or hands on experience in administrating, troubleshooting and analyzing shared security infrastructure including proxy servers, firewalls, denial of service protection, intrusion detection & prevention, and authentication systems. Experience may be substituted for education on one year of experience for two years of ratio. A Master's degree in a relevant field will substitute for one year of the required experience.
- Three years’ experience with a large, high volume 24x7 customer or service provider network.
- Two years’ experience in Microsoft Server (e.g. 2008, 2012, etc.) and/or Unix administration and support (e.g. Linux, Solaris, etc.).
- Two years’ experience with forward/reverse proxy administration and support.
- Two years’ experience in Web Server administration and support (e.g. Tomcat, Apache, IIS, etc.).
- Two years Application Integration Software Support (Websphere, Apache, MuleSoft, etc.)
- Experience resolving a wide range of difficult and complex security problems and implementation of strategies to ensure compliance with IT Security Policy and Standards.
- Hands-on experience in administrating, troubleshooting and analyzing, shared security infrastructure including proxy servers, firewalls, denial of service protection, intrusion detection & prevention.
Preference may be granted to applicants who possess experience with the following:
- A Master's degree will substitute for one year of the required experience.
- Experience in with VMware, Linux (e.g. Suse or Redhat), and container administration.
- Experience with Application Server Administration and Support using tools such as Oracle, Resin and/or Tomcat.
- Experience with Security Access Control Administration (e.g. Cisco ACS, VPN, etc.).
- Experience in integrating heterogeneous computer systems.
- Project management experience.
- CCNA, GIAC, CISSP certification(s).
WaTech is committed to providing equal access and opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. We seek to attract and retain a diverse staff, and welcome your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large apply button at the top of this announcement for instructions. You may need to create a profile and account in Washington state's automated application system, NeoGov.
To be considered for this position you will need to:
- Submit your online application.
- Answer all required Supplemental Questions.
- Attach a Letter of Interest that addresses how your experience qualifies you for this role.
- Attach a Resume that clearly documents your work history, training, and education that makes you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Note: Failure to attach both your letter of interest and resume or responding to the Supplemental Questions with "see resume" will disqualify your application from further consideration.
You are welcome to include your name and pronouns in your material to ensure we address you appropriately throughout the application process.
Conditions of employment:
- The incumbent of this position will be required to successfully pass a background check. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position and is a continued condition of employment.
- Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.2, WaTech employees must be fully vaccinated. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation. Medical or religious accommodations may be requested through our Human Resource Office, please contact Jenifer Graf at (360) 407-8810 for additional information.
This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE). First round of application assessments will be conducted seven days after the initial job posting date. It is to the applicant's advantage to apply as early as possible.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Rebekah Wilkes at (360) 407-8646 or email to Rebekah.Wilkes@WaTech.wa.gov.
Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or for an alternative format may contact Human Resources at (360) 407-8242 or Human.Resources@watech.wa.gov. Persons of disability or those who are deaf or hard of hearing can call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388. WaTech complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.
To learn more about WaTech please visit our website.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.